Historical sites and monuments


  • Carmel--c--Pauline-Colin

What do we like?

The Carmelite convent in the rue du Barbâtre opened in 1633 upon the initiative of Elisabeth de Bouvant, a widow of 26, seeking to become a nun; but the lack of space in the city obliged her to establish her community on a much larger plot, near the current rue du Jard.

As with most religious orders, the Carmelites were expelled at the time of the Revolution and only returned with the Restoration (1815).

In 1857, they re-established themselves definitively in rue du Barbâtre, abandoning the land in rue du Jard. In the 1990s, the Carmelite convent was sold and redeveloped as a residence.


Carmel Rue du Barbâtre - 51100 REIMS

In the area

Latest modification on 27/03/2024
Skip to content